All too often planning decisions about our town have been made by people who don’t live in Gainsborough, and don’t understand Gainsborough. With a Neighbourhood Plan that is about to change.
The government has given powers to local people to make their own plans for their own areas. RAGE is taking advantage of those powers in an effort to take back some control over the future of our town.
We will develop the plan based on feedback from the good folk of Gainsborough and ultimately they will have the opportunity to decide if they like the plan we prepare through a public vote (technically called a referendum). If the public like what we have done they will vote for the plan and it will become a document that legally has to be followed by developers.
So what will be in the plan ?
That ultimately depends on what the people of Gainsborough think and tell us but we feel that the plan gives us the opportunity to look at the following areas which we think reflect current feeling in the town :
1. Identify and preserve through policy important historical buildings and assets in the town.
2. Identify and protect important green open spaces.
3. Promote through policy the development of the riverside as an area to support a mix of housing, business and leisure activity.
4. Identify and promote the types of housing most needed in the town.
5. Promote through policy the regeneration of our town centre.
6. Create a shared vision for the growth of our town over the next 20-30 years.
We can’t physically force the developers and investors to build here. We all understand that there are wide economic factors at play. What we can do though is give the developers a blueprint for what we want to see when they do come along to build in our town.